THE RENTAL HOUSING ACT (Statutory Law)
The Rental Housing Act of 1985, as amended, effective July 17, 1985 (D.C. Law 6-10; D.C. Official Code § 42-3501.01 et seq). (“Act”), provides the statutory framework for the Rental Housing Commission, and the District’s rent stabilization program. To find the Act online, go to: https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/42/chapters/35/ and click on the section you want.
THE RENTAL HOUSING REGULATIONS (Rules Implementing Law)
Title 14 (Housing) of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (“DCMR”), Chapters 38 through 44 are issued by the Commission to implement the Act and establish clear, specific procedures under it. To find the official compilation of the current regulations online, go to - DCRegs and click on the chapter and section you want to download. The regulations can be printed from the site.
Major Regulations Implemented on December 31, 2021
- For an unofficial copy of the regulations in effect through December 30, 2021, you may download a PDF that includes all sections and linked bookmarks.
- The Commission voted to adopt final rules on November 18, 2021.
- The notice of final rulemaking was published in the December 3, 2021, issue of the D.C. Register and took effect on December 31, 2021. That rulemaking is available here in PDF form.
- Please see the public memorandum from the Commission’s General Counsel for guidance on essential changes to the regulations that will immediately impact housing providers and tenants.
Commission Publishes Technical & Procedural Amendments on February 3, 2023
- On October 13, 2022, the Commission adopted emergency and proposed rules to make a number of technical corrections and minor procedural changes that were necessary after the 2021 major amendments. These rules went into effect immediately and remained in effect until February 3, 2023, when a final rulemaking was published.
The notice of final rulemaking is available here in PDF format <change link to attached PDF, publication>. You may also view a “redline” markup of the changes from the prior to the amended rules here.
Commission Proposes Regulatory Amendments on December 9, 2022
- On December 9, 2022, the Commission published a notice of proposed rulemaking related to notices to vacate, evictions and retaliatory actions in the DC Register for public comment. The proposed rules relate to the Eviction Record Sealing Authority and Fairness in Renting Amendment Act of 2022 (D.C. Law 24-115), which took effect on May 18, 2022. That new law amends § 501 of the Rental Housing Act, related to notices to vacate and evictions, and adds a new § 510, related to tenant screening.
- The proposed rules amend Chapter 43 of Title 14 of the DCMR. Any persons wishing to comment on the proposed rules may do so in writing by January 27, 2023. You may also view a “redline” markup of the change from the current, effective rules to the proposed rules.
The Commission received the following comments to the notice of proposed rulemaking. The Commission will review the comments before taking further action on these proposed rules.
- RHC Rulemaking Comments - Gallo
- RHC Rulemaking Comments - Cordone
- DCTRC Comments on RHC Proposed Rulemaking
- RHC Final Rulemaking - Technical Fixes 2023 (publication)